Let’s Be Doers by “Caring for God’s Creation”
Spartanburg Green Congregations is pleased to present an evening with Newt Hardie and The Trees Coalition
February 2nd, 7:00 PM at Central Methodist
The Trees Coalition is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit group located in Spartanburg, South Carolina that was formed to educate & inspire communities to care for trees, especially those planted along the streets and trails. The Trees Coalition is an expansion of the Kudzu Coalition, a group that pioneered herbicide-free kudzu removal. We are a mix of volunteers and paid landscapers who train and work alongside neighborhoods, churches, and businesses to provide help in caring for their trees.
• To educate the community on the threats to and proper care of roadside, trail, park and green space trees.
• To engage the community in providing proper tree care, including the removal of invasive plants.
• To enhance community trees by hands-on activities to improve the health of our trees.
• We do NOT plant trees in new areas.
What We Do
• Educate neighborhoods, churches, businesses, and students regarding proper planting, pruning & mulching practices.
• Educate all on identification of and on removal of non-native invasives trees such as Tree of Heaven and Chinese Parasol
Tree; and vines such as ivy, kudzu, and wisteria; and shrubs such as privet, elaeagnus, and leather leaf mahonia with and without
• Offer kudzu removal education through Kudzu Kollege.
• Encourage completion of the Clemson Extension Tree Steward Class.
• Facilitate activities such as Trees parties to provide hands-on education and beautify local areas including gateways and
intersections throughout the community.