Women’s health is a much-discussed topic in Washington, DC, as inexcusable maternal mortality rates and gaping disparities in preventable health issues — such as heart disease –– stubbornly remain the status quo.
That’s why on Wednesday May 16 at 10 am, you should watch the second annual Women’s Health Empowerment Summit live on Hadassah’s Facebook page. Presented by the Coalition for Women’s Health Equity (which Hadassah founded) during National Women’s Health Week, you won’t want to miss these timely discussions with trailblazers on caregiving, mental health and gender, and the importance of including women in clinical trials.
To follow up on a powerful Summit, members will spend Thursday on Capitol Hill meeting with federal legislators to discuss women’s health equity, including pending legislation.
Hadassah members will also call on Congress to:
- Eliminate the Dickey Amendment, which prevents any CDC funding to be used toward the study of firearms or gun control, and allocate funds to this essential research (H.R. 1832)
- Advocate supporting Holocaust education through the Never Again Education Act (H.R. 1474) and supporting the Special Envoy to Monitor and Combat Anti-Semitism Act of 2017 (H.R. 1911 | S. 1292).
If learning about the incredible people working to advance women’s health equity moves you to action, make an appointment in your home district with your federal legislator for a Day in the District. Hadassah National is here to help every step of the way, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please RSVP to all events!
Falafel Friday: This Friday at 6:00 pm-Israel Independence Day
Spartanburg Earth Day: Celebration at Unitarian Universalist Church, Saturday, April 21
Sunday Speaker Series: Sunday, April 22 with David Alvis:
“Michelangelo’s David and the Politics of the Chosen People”
Sisterhood Board Meeting: Sunday, April 22 at 12:00
Hadassah Meeting: Wednesday, April 25 at 11:00
Rabbi’s Brown Bag Lunch: Wednesday, April 25 at 12:00
Kabbalat Shabbat: Friday, April 27 beginning at 5:30 with refreshments.
Saturday Service: April 28 at 9:30 am
Sunday School: Sunday, April 29 beginning at 9:20 with Hebrew
Yom Ha’Atzmaut, Israel’s Independence Day, begins April 18. This year, we’re celebrating the 70th anniversary of statehood and the vision of Zionist women like Henrietta Szold and Rose Halprin, who played powerful roles in building support for Israel and the creation of the Jewish state.
Three Ways to Celebrate Yom Ha’Atzmaut
- As part of our celebration, Hadassah will host a special Yom Ha’Atzmaut Seder led by Dr. Etti Serok of the World Zionist Organization. Join us online on Facebook Live at 11:00 am (ET) — and learn about the Zionist Seder plate, Hadassah’s contributions to building and helping the State of Israel flourish, and more.
- To commemorate this major milestone, Hadassah is asking you to share with us a word (or two) that embodies what you love most about Israel. Email us your words, and you might just see yourself on our social media. Happy Yom Ha’Atzmaut!
- In honor of Israel’s 70th birthday, consider hosting a Zionist salon. Bring together friends, decorate with blue-and-white flags, eat some hummus, shakshuka or other Israeli foods and use author-historian Gil Troy’s The Zionist Ideas: Visions for the Jewish Homeland—Then, Now, Tomorrow — featuring excerpts from Hadassah Zionists past and present. Our customized Hadassah study guide (coming soon!) gives you everything you need to host a lively conversation and make your celebration meaningful. These salons are a great way to introduce potential members to Hadassah’s special kind of Zionism.
There will not be a Hadassah meeting in March.
We would like to encourage everyone to attend Saturday morning services on March 17 beginning at 9:30. We will be hosting a tisch in honor of Hadassah that day with good food and fellowship.
There will be no meeting during the month of March.
Passover is almost here and we hope everyone has a joyous Pesach as we celebrate this spring festival of freedom.
See you around the Temple
2 Purim Dinner
3 Saturday Service
4 Sunday School
7 Hebrew School
9 7:30 Service
10 Saturday Service
11 Sunday School
14 Breakfast Schmooze
14 Hebrew School
16 Kabbalat Shabbat
17 Saturday Service-Haddasah Tisch
17 Movie Night
18 Sunday School Speaker-TBA
18 Temple Board Meeting
21 Rabbi’s Brown Bag Lunch
21 Hebrew School
23 Soup & Salad
24 Saturday Service
25 Sunday School-Model Seder
25 Sisterhood General Meeting
28 Hebrew School
30 Erev Passover-NO Service
31 Passover Day 1-9:30 Service